Friday, August 20, 2010

Review: The Secret Year by Jennifer R. Hubbard

The Secret Year
by Jennifer R. Hubbard
Viking
http://www.jenniferhubbard.com
ISBN: 9780670011537
Release Date: January 2010
from the author's site: 

Seventeen-year-old Colt has been sneaking out at night to meet Julia, a girl from an upper-class neighborhood unlike his own. They’ve never told anyone else about their relationship: not their family or friends, and especially not Julia’s boyfriend. When Julia dies suddenly, Colt tries to cope with her death while pretending that he never even knew her. He discovers a journal Julia left behind. But Colt is not prepared for the truths he discovers about their intense relationship, nor to pay the price for the secrets he’s kept.

my thoughts: 

The Secret Year was a different kind of book for me. It was like getting just a little snippet of Colt's life. Jennifer R. Hubbard's writing is absolutely compelling. I read nearly the entire book in one sitting. I couldn't stop reading about Colt and what he was going through. How do you handle grief when you can't show it?

The Secret Year is a book to make you think. I'm glad I read it, and I recommend you do so too.  

No comments: