Thursday, February 10, 2011

Review: The Line by Teri Hall

The Line
by Teri Hall
Dial
http://www.terihall.com
ISBN: 978083734661
Release Date: March 4, 2010
(above information is for the hardcover edition)

from the author's site: 
Rachel lives with her mother on The Property. The good thing about living there is that it’s far from the city where the oppressive government is most active. The bad thing, at least to most people, is that it’s close to the Line—an uncrossable section of the National Border Defense System, an invisible barrier that encloses the entire country.

She can see the Line from the greenhouse windows, but she is forbidden to go near it. Across the Line is Away, and though Rachel has heard many whispers about the dangers there, she’s never really believed the stories. Until the day she hears a recording that could only have come from across the Line.

It’s a voice asking for help.

Who sent the message? What is her mother hiding? And to what lengths will Rachel go in order to do what she thinks is right?

my thoughts: 

The Line is my current book club book for my Young Adult book club, but I've been curious about it for awhile now. It's a very interesting, engrossing read. Teri Hall's writing is very smooth and it's so easy to sit down with The Line and become immersed in the story. 

I was so immersed reading about Rachel, Vivian, and Ms. Moore that I was a bit jarred by the ending. I had a moment of "Wait where's the next page?" Thankfully book 2, Away will be releasing in September. Here's hoping I have the patience to wait that long. 

If you're a fan of dystopian stories or really just like books that look at our world a little differently I strongly recommend checking out The Line. It's a quick read, and I imagine once you're done, like me, you'll find yourself wishing September would get here faster. And even better The Line will be available in paperback very soon - current release listed on Amazon is April 14th.

2 comments:

Lindsay Cummings author said...

new follower! love the blog and the books you have posted. i wanna read the line so bad!!



follow me?! http://lindsaycummingsblog.blogspot.com/

sarah darlington said...

looks like it could be good! I keep seeing this one popping up on blogs too.