Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Cemetery Boys Book Birthday!

Happy Book Birthday to Heather Brewer and her new book The Cemetery Boys! I don't normally do release day (aka book birthday) posts, but this one is a big deal for me. If you've been reading me from the beginning, then you may remember that one of my earliest posts discussed why I read YA (given that I am technically outside of the target market).  I credited Heather Brewer and her Chronicles of Vladimir Tod for getting me interested in reading YA. 

Before it became more common and accepted for adults to read YA literature, I actively avoided it. I had that idea in my head that is unfortunately still held by many, that because the books were for teens then there was nothing of interest in them for me. I didn't insult YA or YA readers, I simply didn't read them. Then I saw a post on MySpace (yes this was when MySpace was the thing) about an author looking for booksellers and reviewers for her new book Eighth Grade Bites (Book 1 of the Chronicles of Vladimir Tod)

I had never heard of Heather Brewer at this point. Well, who would have? It was a year before the first Vladimir Tod book released. But I've always loved vampire stories and this one sounded interesting. I was both a bookseller and a reviewer at the time, so I sent her a message letting her know that I was interested. 

I read Eighth Grade Bites and a new love affair with books was born. Not only did I find a new favorite author, but a new favorite genre. Without Auntie Heather, I might not have found some of my other favorites like Lisa Mantchev, Maggie Stiefvater, Mara Purnhagen, and so many more that I don't have the space to name them all. Without finding Heather Brewer and Vladimir Tod I might not have opted to specialize in Youth Services in Library School. 

So yes, this book birthday is an exciting one for me, and I CANNOT wait for my copy to arrive in my mailbox. So if you haven't already read any of Auntie Heather's books, I strongly suggest that you do. For more information, check her out her site here

Happy Book Birthday Auntie Heather! I know it's going to be awesome. :)

No comments: