Monday, September 14, 2009

Author Interview: Samira Armin Hodges

Hey there YA fans! I've got another great author interview for you today. Check out my guest Samira Armin Hodges.

1.Tell us a little about yourself.




Hi! My name is Samira Armin Hodges and I’m a 29 year old Pediatrician by day and Young Adult author by night. I recently moved from the crisp, cold north to the sun (sorry, I mean Central Texas) with my husband and two crazy rescue dogs. Oh and I recently found out that the stork might be on its way too!




2.What got you started writing? What brought you to YA?

I’ve been writing my entire life. I guess I’m somewhat addicted to it. But the thought of writing for others was never something I seriously considered. To me, that was as realistic as flying to the moon on a vacuum cleaner. However, a couple of years ago, I came up with this story…the story for Milestones. It just came to me; this tale about a girl named Faye Martin and her quest for self-discovery. At first, I was reluctant to actually commit to it and to attempt to publish it. But then, as time went on, the story wouldn’t leave me alone. The more I tried to ignore it, the more it kept nagging at me. So one summer, I wrote the first installment of the trilogy. And the rest is history….

3.Tell us about your most recent/ upcoming release?




Part one of the Milestones Trilogy was released August 1st, 2009. It can be found at all major booksellers and the “tour” (both virtual and physical) is currently ongoing! I just had my first book-signing and it was truly a wonderful experience. Can’t wait to do it again.




4.Do you plot out in advance, or just start writing and see where things go from there?

I definitely plot out in advance. For instance, I even know the plot of the book that I will write after the Milestones trilogy is complete. With me, I’ll just be sitting there (or here) and the characters form in my head. The next thing I know, the story materializes and then I have no choice but to put it down on paper and see what happens.

5.Many authors have told me their characters talk to them, and sometimes even have different ideas of where the story should go than the author. Do you hear your characters?

I can’t say I’ve experienced this phenomenon firsthand but sheesh, it kinda sounds fascinating! No, with me, I’m the puppeteer and the characters are definitely my puppets. Their fate is pre-determined by me. From the get-go.

6.Who is your favorite character (of your own)?

I love this question! I read one time that JK Rowling’s favourite character was Hermione and it made me love her that much more. My favourite character is Melaine. She is very humble, kind and gracious and she goes through a lot in the trilogy. First, she deals with her mother’s death and next, she finds herself alone and confused and well, up the creek without a paddle (as the saying goes). She then goes through a lot of physical changes and experiments with darker looks, all the while keep the essence of her unique qualities.

7. What hobbies do you have when you're not writing?

I love to play tennis and swim. I used to play competitive tennis (once upon a time) so it’s my favourite active thing to do. Oh and let’s not forget the great thing that brings us all together: read! I’m currently reading Along for the Ride, by Sarah Dessen.

8. If you had not become a writer what would you have done instead?

Well, this question is a little strange for me to answer because I’m sort of already doing it. I am a doctor and I love my job. But then I look at authors like John Grisham (lawyer first, author later) or Michael Crichton (doctor first, author later) and I think…well, I wouldn’t be the first!
9.Where can readers find you online?

My blog site is www.sahodges.blogspot.com and I welcome all readers. I write about all types of topics and be forewarned, I tend to rant about high school a lot! I feel as though high school is a really tumultuous time in one’s life and nobody really ever tells you that it stinks. I like to remind people that it does in fact, stink, and that everything in life flip-flops once you graduate. That’s a promise. Also, my book’s site is at: www.campmilestone.com.

10.Your turn. What question do you have for readers of Want My YA?

Are you a fan of happy endings, suspenseful endings, surprise endings or bittersweet ones? And what is your favourite ending and why? (By the way, I’d have to say Milestones falls under the “surprise ending” category).

Thanks so much Samira! It was great having you here today. :) And readers - don't forget to answer her question.

2 comments:

~THE OPTIMISTIC PESSIMIST ~ said...

Great interview!~ Am off to check out Samira's blog and site... :0)

M said...

Love this author...have read Milestones and can't wait to read the next two in the trilogy...and anything else she rights for that matter!

-M