Monday, October 20, 2008

Why Young Adult?




Given my age (early 20's) some may ask why I would have any interest at all in young adult novels. If you're familiar with the current trend of YA novels being read by all ages, then this might not seem so strange. For a long time though, I did avoid this growing trend. I'd already been through that stage. I read the YA's back when I was in grade school and junior high. By age 13 I was reading Harlequins, and my future in Romance was set.



Today I would like to tell you about the series that brought me back to YA. It's The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod by Heather Brewer. I came upon this series by chance. I was browing MySpace and saw that Heather Brewer had posted something about looking for reviewers and booksellers to send Advanced Copies of her new book. I thought, hmm...I like vampires. So I emailed her at once and informed her that I am a reviewer and bookseller and would she pretty please send me her book. I was instantly hooked and gladly joined the ranks of her minion horde. :) I was so excited that even though the bookstore I work for wasn't set to get any copies of book 1, Eighth Grade Bites in stock, I ordered them in anyway. With the hard work of myself and my wonderful co-workers we sold 25 copies of a debut book from an unknown author in hardcover. I couldn't believe it, but I was absolutely thrilled.





I truly love these books and I would highly encourage you to look into them. Book #1 is Eighth Grade Bites and this is now available in paperback, Book #2 is Ninth Grade Slays which is still currently only available in hardcover, and the as yet unrelease Book #3 will be Tenth Grade Bleeds. I can't wait. If you need any further information be sure to check out Heather's site at http://www.heatherbrewer.com/ . We're hoping to have her here to do a guest spot sometime in the near future.




So yes after experiencing Vlad I have found my way back into the YA fold. There are so many new series to check out. I'll be asking my sister (another 20-something) for some good recommends. Heck, if I can talk her into it we may even get a Sami Jo recommends spot on here. :)



And now another picture just for fun, and yes I am wearing the same hoodie as Vlad. There's a similar picture posted on Heather Brewer's blog.




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well good to see Im not the only one who is passed YA but is going back to read them. Im 33 and am finding so many good books to read that are YA. I missed out on a lot book having grown up in Europe, so now making up for lost time. I've added this author to my list of must reads.

HeatherMarie said...

Glad to hear it. :) Thanks for the comment.

Anonymous said...

Great post Heather! I think you've inspired me to make another trip to the bookstore.
:)

Anonymous said...

Tag! you are it LOL