Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Review: Leaving Paradise by the wonderful Simone Elkeles

Hey there! I've found another fabulous read for you all. Well, maybe I should say you all found it since this was your winning pick in my last poll.

the info:


Leaving Paradise

by Simone Elkeles

ISBN: 9780738710181

Flux Books



from the author's site:


CALEB: I’m happy to be going home after a year of being locked in a juvenile corrections facility for over a year for a hit and run drunk driving accident. But if I’m so happy about it, why am I feeling so anxious? Facing my parents will be rough. I also have to start my senior year of high school and face the kids at school and friends who ditched me after I got arrested. The worst part is that Maggie Armstrong is my next door neighbor.
Who’s Maggie Armstrong? Oh, she’s the girl I went to jail for maiming. I’m reminded of my mistake every day of my life because of her. Life just isn’t fair.


MAGGIE: I can’t believe Caleb Becker is being released early. I planned on going to Spain for my last semester of junior year so I could avoid facing him. But my plans get screwed up because Caleb is released from juvenile jail early. It totally upsets me that my life has been turned upside down because of the accident and Caleb returns and seems to jump right back in where he left off. Life isn’t fair and I hate Caleb with all my soul. But how can I stay away from my nemesis when he’s everywhere I go? I’m reminded how much my life changed every day of my life because of him. Life just isn’t fair.


my thoughts:


Wow, just wow! Simone Elkeles takes a very difficult story and tells it in such a wonderful way. I found the build-up of Caleb's and Maggie's relationship to be very believable. They found themselves outsiders where they were once comfortable. Circumstance brings them together and soon they find that the only person they trust is the one person they should avoid.


I warn you now, the ending is more realistic than happy, however, there is a sequel on the way. Yay! for sequels. I'm seriously looking forward to it. No info on it just yet, but it's coming.


This is a book you need to read. I love it! And I'm immediately adding everything else by Simone Elkeles to my TBR.

No comments: