Friday, March 5, 2010

Review: Eleventh Grade Burns by Heather Brewer

The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod: Eleventh Grade Burns
by Heather Brewer


Dutton
http://www.heatherbrewer.com
ISBN: 9780525422433
Release Date: February 9, 2010


from the author's site:

Things have taken a darker turn for the half-human teenager with an appetite for blood. Joss, a vampire slayer and Vlad’s former friend, has moved back to Bathory. A mysterious and powerful new vampire, Dorian, appears with a shocking secret and an overwhelming desire to drink Vlad’s blood. And Vlad’s arch enemy, D’Ablo, has a sinister plan to eliminate Vlad once and for all. With death threatening from every angle, Vlad will have to use every ounce of his skill and training to survive, but nothing can prepare him for what awaits him in the end.

my thoughts:

Can Heather get any better? Well, probably, there's one more book yet. I've been a huge fan of the Vladimir Tod series since the first book came out and none of the books have disappointed me. With each new book Vlad gets better and the action gets more intense. As with every other Vladimir Tod story I flew through the pages because I didn't want to walk away from Bathory and the world Heather Brewer has created.

What really gets to me is the depth of the characters; the vampires may be the focus of the story but they aren't purely good, and the slayers are the "enemies" but at least one isn't purely bad. They are all people living their lives the best way they can. In Eleventh Grade Burns we see a new side of everyone, Vlad, Joss, Otis. Everyone continues to grow and change, which should happen in any good story.

I'm both excited for the release of Twelfth Grade Kills and sad to see it get here because I know that's the end of the Chronicles of Vladimir Tod. I'm anxious to see it arrive, (and once you finish Eleventh Grade Burns you'll know why) and sad to see Vlad go. The good news is that I own all of the books so I can revisit Vlad over and over again, and I'm definitely looking forward to doing exactly that.

3 comments:

Morgan said...

I've been wanting to read this series for a long time. It sounds really good and I like all the covers.

Decatur Hawk said...

this series is awesome. cant wait for 12th grade kills the ending of 11th grade burns is shocking. my friend read the ending first and that ruined the whole book for her, so she advised me not to do that.

Decatur Hawk said...

Vlad is awesome