Sunday, January 24, 2010

Review: Lonely Hearts Club by Elizabeth Eulberg

The Lonely Hearts Club
by Elizabeth Eulberg


Point (Scholastic)
ISBN: 9780545140317
http://www.elizabetheulberg.com
Release Date: January 2010


from the author's site:

Love is all you need…or is it?

Penny is sick of boys and sick of dating, so she vows: No more. She’s had one too many bad dates, and has been hurt by one too many bad boys. It’s a personal choice…and soon everybody wants to know about it. It seems that Penny’s not the only girl who’s tired of the way girls change themselves (most of the time for the worse) in order to get their guys…or the way their guys don’t really care about them.

Girls are soon thronging to The Lonely Hearts Club (named after Sgt. Pepper’s band), and Penny finds herself near legendary for her non-dating ways – which is too bad, since the leader of The Lonely Hearts Club has found a certain boy she can’t help but like…


my thoughts:

The Lonely Hearts Club grabbed my attention immediately. I instantly identified with Penny. Who hasn't felt like giving up the whole dating scene? Penny's frustrations with boys and the girls who think of nothing else, brought me right back to my own high school experience.

What I really loved about this book, was that despite an upsetting start for Penny, this book is really very positive. Within the story, the club becomes a wonderful support group for the girls involved. I loved The Lonely Hearts Club and I really can't wait to see what else Elizabeth Eulberg comes out with. I really hope we get to see more of Penny, but I'm sure I'll read whatever Ms. Eulberg releases.

The Lonely Hearts Club should be mandatory reading for teen girls everywhere, but it's fun reading no matter your age. I loved hanging out with Penny Lane Bloom and the rest of the Lonely Hearts Club; if only we all had such a great group of friends.

No comments: